This Film Details Audi's 20th Century Motorsports Dominance
Quattro defined "Vorsprung durch Technik" during the '80s and '90s.
Few automakers were as prominent in motorsports during the late 20th century as Audi. It had a stake in seemingly every series, from Group B Rally to DTM, IMSA GTO, and several others, putting them at the forefront of the sport. The manufacturer had big-name drivers like Walter Röhrl and Hans Stuck to pilot its machines, advancing its success even further. Audi's claim to fame during this era was Quattro all-wheel-drive, a system that allowed it to excel and accelerate past its competitors with ease and grace—and as this film shows, the equipment gave Audi an "unfair advantage".
The 23-minute movie details the brand's success from the early years of WRC to the fire-spitting days of the Audi 90 IMSA GTO. Not only does it encompass Audi's cars, but also the heroism of its drivers—both of which were keys to the company's prosperity. Beautiful footage of onboard action shows their capabilities behind the advanced autos, displaying plenty of fancy footwork and machismo.
Thanks to Audi, we got to see some of the best action in sport history. It was in a class of its own, with factory team racing drivers competing against each other like Hurley Haywood and Hans Stuck boding for the title. It encouraged innovation from other manufacturers, and today, top echelon automakers like Bugatti even use the technology thanks to Audi's pioneering.
With this video, you can learn the famed stories of Audi's experiences through racing including being banned from some series for being "too good". This was the pinnacle of motorsport for many as cars were fast, drivers were great, and restrictions were few. It truly wouldn't have been the same without the Ingolstadt brand pushing the boundaries and gaining "Vorsprung durch Technik", or "Progress through Technology".
- RELATEDWatch the Audi 90 IMSA GTO Spit Flames All Over The TrackThis classic footage from Sears Point is something special.READ NOW
- RELATEDGroup B Rally in Lego? What's Not To Love?All you need is another car to race it against.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi Unveils Its Version of the GT4 Race CarIt will take to the track next month at the Nurburgring.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Audi RS5 is U.S. Bound, Audi Sport Brand LaunchesThe brand's newly redesigned sport coupe is headed our way.READ NOW
- RELATEDSame Game, Different Name: Quattro GmbH is now Audi SportNow you don’t have to have guess what the acronym stands for.READ NOW