This Pristine 1953 Chevy Bel Air Restomod Is Powered by a Twin-Supercharged LS V-8
Yes, those are suicide doors.
Under the hood is always a good place to start. You probably won’t be surprised to hear that an LS V-8 was chosen to power this thing, specifically a 6.2-liter LSX376-B15. This crate engine straight from Chevy Performance makes 473 horsepower and 444 pound-feet of torque, but the one we see here is topped off with a very unconventional twin-supercharger setup. It’s technically one unit which the owner calls “siamese superchargers.”
They’re twin Magnuson 122 superchargers in one piece. This is a vintage oddity that was discontinued long ago and the owner estimates that there are only about four of these left in the world. We’d say this is a pretty good use for one of them.
Here’s the engine doing some revving and whistling.
The power goes through a TH350 automatic transmission into a Ford 9-inch rear end. Power and torque figures are a mystery, but we’re guessing it’s a healthy upgrade over the stock numbers for this engine.
It’s not hard to see that a lot of fabrication work was done on this body. It’s been chopped, channeled, and widened to give it a menacing presence and it rides on an Art Morrison chassis. It even has a rear diffuser giving this American classic a touch of supercar flair. Perhaps the coolest part of the body is the custom suicide doors.
Weaver Customs has a beauty on its hands with this custom Bel Air and, by the sounds of it, it'll be up for sale at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale next year.
- RELATEDThis 1972 Chevy Cheyenne Powered by a Supercharged LS V-8 Is the BusinessThis went from a boring farm truck to a rad 4x4 in a big way.READ NOW
- RELATEDMan Tracks Down Brother's 1964 Chevrolet Bel Air, Surprises Him With RestorationIn one of the best examples of brotherly love we've seen, a Reddit user hunted down his brother's car from high school and restored it.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Range Rover Classic Restomod Rocks a Supercharged LS V-8 EngineThe Range Rover Classic is reborn with a modern platform and an LS-swap.READ NOW
- RELATEDBruce Springsteen’s ‘57 Chevy Bel Air Is on eBay Right NowNot surprisingly, it ain’t going cheap.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 1977 Cadillac Coupe de Ville with a Twin-Turbo LS V-8 is 1,172 Horsepower of Malaise LuxuryThat's almost a full 1,000 horsepower more than what the original 7.0-liter V-8 made.READ NOW