Infiniti QX Inspiration Electric SUV Concept Breaks Down Minutes Before World Premiere
An empty stage forced Infiniti to reschedule the event.
The future of Infiniti will be delayed at least a few hours after the world premiere of its all-electric QX Inspiration concept at the Detroit Auto Show was canceled at the last minute when the car broke down on its way to the stage.
A sizable crowd of journalists had gathered ahead of the planned 11:40am event, which had been scheduled to also coincide with the marque's 30th anniversary. In a bit of theater, Infiniti arranged to have a technician drive the QX Inspiration on stage for its grand reveal.
From its highly-styled exterior to the promised "lounge-like" interior, the QX Inspiration is said to preview the design of the company's upcoming slate of electric vehicles. But when the big moment came, the car was stuck in the entry hall, immobilized by an unspecified problem.
Parts of the press conference awkwardly went on, resulting in this painful video of an Infiniti executive standing on an empty stage saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Infiniti QX Inspiration. You can't see it, but it's here. We're incredibly proud of this of this car."
After a long delay, Infiniti decided to reschedule the press conference for later in the day. As journalists filtered out of the room, several caught a glimpse of the busted car at the center of a scrum of concerned-looking Infiniti employees.
"The Infiniti QX Inspiration, like many stunning beauties, is a bit of a diva and decided to to delay her debut. Another memorable NAIAS moment," Infiniti global communications head Trevor Hale told CBNC. "That's show business."
That's show business—and hopefully not a sign of things to come for Infiniti's electric future.
- RELATEDDetroit Auto Show: Infiniti QX Inspiration Concept Scouts for an Electric OffensiveYou're looking at the styling direction in which Infiniti will take its electric vehicles.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Ford Explorer Lineup Adds 400-HP ST Variant and Efficient Hybrid Model to LineupOne for going fast, the other for going far.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Toyota Supra: After Many Leaks, This Is Finally ItUnveiled in Detroit by F1 Champ Fernando Alonso, the range-topping Supra puts out 335 HP and can hit 60 mph in 4.1 seconds.READ NOW
- RELATEDProject Black S Concept: The Best Car Infiniti Will Never MakeDebuted as a concept at the 2018 Paris Motor Show, the Project Black S uses genuine F1 tech borrowed from Renault's R.S. 18 racer.READ NOW
- RELATEDInfiniti Will Launch a New Platform for Electrified VehiclesThe first model based on this platform will be built in China.READ NOW